- 1 1/2 cups vodka
- 2 English cucumbers; 1 peeled and coarsely chopped, 1 left whole
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 bottles (750 mL each) sparkling water
- 1/2 to 1 cup Ginger Simple Syrup Ginger Simple Syrup
- Put vodka and chopped cucumber in a nonreactive container. Refrigerate 1 hour. Strain; discard cucumber. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use, up to 2 days.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the remaining cucumber lengthwise into wide strips; discard seeds.
- Fill eight tumblers with ice. Add 3 cucumber strips and 3 tablespoons infused vodka to each glass. Squeeze, then drop, a lime wedge into each. Top with sparkling water; stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons syrup.
Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 piece (about 10 inches long and 4 ounces; or use several small pieces) fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very thin rounds
* From Martha Stewart
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add ginger; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and let steep 30 minutes. Pour syrup through a fine sieve into an airtight container; discard ginger. Refrigerate up to 1 month.